If you’re anything like me, you’re plan for Spring Break is to bust out the bikini and lose that winter pale you’ve been sporting for way too long. But why limit yourself to beach tanning when there are plenty of other ways to find yourself outdoors while you’re on Spring Break?
1. Rent a KAYAK! Kayaks are fun, self-propelled boats that are easy to become the captain of. A double-sided paddle that requires a rotating motion pushes water back while sending you forward on the water. Exploring a local lake, river, stream, brook or riding the ocean waves can be relaxing, healthy and fun in that springtime sunshine.
2. Try wakeboarding! When I was in 9th grade, my best friend Bennett was really into wakeboarding. Wakeboarding is a more modern alternative that finds itself in the water skiing genre of activities. For the most part, a wakeboard is a snowboard for water. The catch is you need a motor boat to pull you UNLESS you find yourself in the Orlando area where you can rent a board and ride motorized cables that will pull you around at Orlando Watersports Complex (OWC).
3. Enjoy a beach cookout! More often than not, public beaches sport pavilions out front with a charcoal grill assigned to each one. Stake your claim at one of these pavilions with a bunch of friends, grab a bag of charcoal from your local Wal-mart along with some hotdogs and you’re good to go. Nothing beats a messy cookout with a public shower!
4. Visit the manatees. These fat and friendly Florida natives will welcome you with placid, whiskered faces anywhere they can find warm water. If you’re in my neck of the woods, say hello to the manatees of the Manatee Observation and Education Center in Ft. Pierce! You’ll even have an opportunity to check out the museum and donate a little monetary love to these beautiful and humorous endangered creatures.
5. Go for a beach side jog! There’s no need to lose that beach bod before break even ends so get your sneakers on and challenge yourself to run from one beach to another. You’ll be soaking up the sun and making room for an ice cream cone after!